Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Swift Justice: Jury Finds Mueller Battered Taylor

Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift won her civil trial against a Denver radio personality on Monday after a jury found that the former DJ assaulted and battered the pop star by groping her bare bottom, and awarded her the symbolic $1 in damages she had sought.

Reuters reports Swift cried and hugged her mother as the verdicts were read in U.S. District Court in Denver and mouthed an emphatic "thank you" to members of the jury as they left the courtroom.

The six-woman, two-man jury, which deliberated for less than four hours following a sensational week-long trial, also rejected claims by radio personality David Mueller that members of Swift's management team - her mother and a radio station liaison - got him fired from his "dream job" as a DJ by making false accusations.

"I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this," the 27-year-old singer said in a statement released immediately following the verdicts.

David Mueller
"My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard," Swift said, adding that she would make donations to organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves.

Mueller, 55, showed no reaction as the verdicts were read.

Mueller, a former KYGO 98.5 FM radio host, sued Swift, her mother and her radio promotions manager, Frank Bell, in 2015. Mueller claimed that they interfered with his employment at KYGO after Bell reported to the station Swift’s claims that the host had groped her and said it could have “grave” consequences on the relationship between the singer and the station. Mueller had sought up to $3 million, saying the allegation cost him his job and reputation.

Swift countersued and sought the $1 in damages. She said she wants to serve as an example to other women who have been sexually assaulted.

“That dollar is of immeasurable value,” Swift’s attorney Douglas Baldridge said after the verdicts were read.

Frank Bell
According to the Denver Post, he said Swift had a lot of courage to come forward, and he called her an inspiration to others.

Last week, Swift used blunt language to describe the assault during a meet-and-greet photo session with fans and others before a June 2, 2013, concert at the Pepsi Center.

“He did not touch my rib, he did not touch my hand, he didn’t touch my arm, he grabbed my bare ass,” she said.

In her statement after the verdicts Monday, Swift spoke about helping other victims.

“I want to thank Judge William J. Martinez and the jury for their careful consideration, my attorneys Doug Baldridge, Danielle Foley, Jay Schaudies and Katie Wright for fighting for me and anyone who feels silenced by a sexual assault, and especially anyone who offered their support throughout this four-year ordeal and two-year long trial process.

"I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this. My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves.”

The jury also found the singer’s mother, Andrea Swift, and manager Frank Bell not liable for tortious interference.

No comments:

Post a Comment