Friday, May 5, 2017

Chicago Radio: Kathy Hart Walks, Hubbard Scrambles

The working relationship between WTMX 101.9 FM The Mix morning show superstars Eric Ferguson and Kathy Hart has been a terrible one, according to Chicago Radio& Media website.

While the two seem to have incredible chemistry on the airwaves, when the microphones are turned off, the duo simply cannot stand each other.

Eric and Kathy
According to CR&M, the problems behind the scenes have only worsened over the years and Hubbard Radio Chicago management has done little to smooth over the problem or end the highly toxic work conditions that have long existed.

According to insiders at WTMX-FM, the problem is so bad that the two hosts will only communicate with each other through producers. They will not even say a word to each other.

Many of the insiders side with Hart, claiming Ferguson's ego, entitled attitude, and harsh treatment of others makes it difficult to be around him.

No longer able to handle the negativity of working alongside Ferguson, Hart left the station this week on what appears to be a mental health leave of absence. Hubbard Radio Chicago is now scrambling to try and save their "golden goose" morning show that has produced record-high ratings and revenue for them for so many years.

The "Eric & Kathy Morning Show" has boasted strong listenership among advertiser-coveted 25-to-54-year-old females for most of their tenure at the station. The key to the success of this entertainment based, lifestyle driven show has been its ability to keep the content edgy enough to engage grownups but with enough tongue in cheek humor to sail right over the heads of kids.

Ferguson and Hart have been on-air partners on WTMX-FM since September 1996, creating one of the most successful and consistently highest-rated morning shows in Chicago radio history. This past November they were inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame to honor their radio successes. In January, the duo were given a multi-year contract extension to stay on WTMX-FM.

24 comments:

  1. If Kathy is really leaving the show I don't think I will stay a listener. I feel she's the glue holding it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only glue is having her name attached to the show. She's proven that she can't handle the show herself in the past. If Eric was gone, the show would have pre-recorded clips without Kathy taking over, If Kathy is gone.. The show goes on without any problem. Seems like someone has been riding the entire show's coat tails for a long time. In my Opinion, Good Riddance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric comes across on air as even a snooty stuffy elitist and maybe she just got sick of his BS and talking about gold everyday after work.........I saw this happening years ago and I disagree, I thought she could handle the show fine by herself! Any updates on this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy Hart sucks. Show has been so much better since she left! Eric and Melissa in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree Eric is witty and smart but he's also rude, condescending and patronizing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't miss her. I resent the fact that her absence has been vague. Is she in or is she out, don't really care. Melissa rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Eric and Melissa show sounds good to me. I don't miss Kathy as Melissa has stepped up and filled the female role with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The show is Eric & Kathy- she needs to take a break and suck it up! Or leave the show. The rest of us have to manage with personal problems while working. Melissa has been great- unfortunately the show must go on...or rather "fortunately". I am a long time listener-Eric is funny, talented & is able to ride out the storms- The Show Must Go On!.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Kathy and I hope she is ok. If the reason for her absence is her dislike for Eric, then she needs to make a definitive move. To be gone for so long with no explanation shows she cares little about her fans. Good for Melissa for stepping up to the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PEOPLE JUST NEED TO LEARN HOW TO GET ALONG! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TILL IT IS TAKEN AWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am all for Eric & Melissa (and Whip). These three appear to work good together and the longer Kathy is away the less she is missed. In my opinion, Kathy brought nothing to the show. However, you know what they say about opinions. I really don't miss her and I have been listening since 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any update as she has now been off the air for over 2 months and with no explanation from the station it is a joke at this point and I turned off the station and now listen to a combination of the Score and Satellite Radio (the new Chris Carter morning show on Sirius channel 18 is great)! I think the earlier comment was how Eric talks about golf (not gold) all day......I really think she is trying to get out of her deal and WTMX is playing hardball!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that she is gone. She was very opinionated and self-righteous. No reason or basis for it. Wasn't she married & divorced three times! She should keep her opinions to herself.

    Eric and Melissa (and Whip) has a better ring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy Self Righteous? A show fronted by Eric Ferguson and the other co-host is called self righteous? Kathy you can do better- Adios WTMX I say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy was not too bright.. comments were dumb but she thought she was expert and know it all.... rather have Melissa and Whip and be done with it

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked Kathy. But I truly don't recall her ever hosting the show solo. I'm shocked at hearing so many call Eric 'elitist'. I don't hear it and I've been listening for 20 years. It's his shtick. The longer Kathy is gone, the less I miss her. And Melissa and Whip are a hoot. I won't stop listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric does come off as very pompous and elitist. Not exactly the doting dad-seems all her cares about is the golf course and his Cubs and Black Hawks season tickets.....

      Delete
  17. The longer she is out, the more nobody cares. She will not have this opportunity again with another station. She cannot carry a show by herself. When Eric is out, they play tapes from previous shows. Hope she saved her money, because she will never have this type of opportunity again. For her to just walk, things must of been really bad or she is too thin skinned. Either way, have fun reading the news for Mancow in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are now approaching 3 months that she has been out. Where are the reporters in this town to "dig" a little and find the story. Clearly Kathy is tired of Eric's pompous attitude. The fact that WTMX has said nothing is an insult to the millions of Chicagoans who listen to their show...or like me "used" to listen...Adios WTMX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! WTMX's silence is unacceptable. I think Eric, Melissa and Whip are great, but feel that the station has insulted their listeners. I'm out!

      Delete
  19. I vaguely listen every morning on my drive in to work, and just now realized (as I heard them discussing it) that Kathy has been gone since April?! I didn't realize it had been nearly that long, but I like the show as it is. Everything seems to flow, and I really like Melissa. The show must go on :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Still love the show without Kathy, they have all picked up the slack very well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never liked the contributions that Melissa made, always seemed to be riding on Kathy's coat tails. This is a joke now and I really hope many die hards don't sit by like sheep while WTMX says nothing and takes us for granted. Plenty of options on satellite radio as well! BTW-Don't like the show at all without Kathy............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy was a snotty stuck up b. Hey Kathy, NOBODY cares about your damn boobs, your bratty kids, your dumb dog and your even-dumber husband! The show is BETTER with her gone. I LOVE the chemistry between Eric, Melissa and Brian! LOVE IT. BUH BYE, SOURPUSS HART.

      Delete