Monday, February 6, 2017

R.I.P: Former Baltimore Radio Personality Les Alexander

Les Alexander, a WCAO 600 AM disc jockey who was a well-known on-air personality in the rock 'n' roll era of the 1960s and early '70s, died Jan. 27 at the Commons at Brightmore, a Wilmington, N.C., retirement community.

He was 93, according to The Baltimore Sun.

Alexander Leslie Paternotte, who was known professionally as Les "The Beard" Alexander, was born in Stamford, Conn.  He completed his freshman year at Princeton University and developed an interest in radio at the campus station, WPRB. He enlisted in the Army and served in Europe during World War II.

3 comments:

  1. I spent many happy hours listening to "The Beard" on WCAO Baltimore in the late 1960's and early 1970's. He had a distinctive voice, great radio presence and wonderful sense of humor. It was always a "doo follie" time on the Les Alexander Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up listening to "The beard" as a teen. I remember he and the other DJ's playing basketball at my high school. He made the music of the 60's more fun. Oddly, I was just thinking about him a few weeks ago. Their ilk and talent will never come again. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les was a personal friend and we even worked together at a station in Towson, MD. His on-air work was the best I've heard. To this day I miss Les who was a wonderful friend. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete