Saturday, March 26, 2016

Vin Scully Will Miss the Roar of The Crowd


Fans dreading the day when they can no longer hear Vin Scully should know the feeling is mutual.

"I'll miss the fans and the sounds of the fans," Scully said Friday, before broadcasting the first Spring Training game of his 67th and final season at the Dodgers microphone.

Speaking at a MLB media gathering, Scully told a story about being an 8-year-old crawling under his family's radio and hearing the roar of the crowd at a college football broadcast "wash over me like water out of a showerhead. I used to get ecstatic over the roar.

"To this day, when the crowd lets out a roar, I shut up and I'm 8 years old again under the radio.

When it's over, that's the first thing I'll miss. The roar of the crowd, the goose bumps you get."

Scully, now 88, has devoted his life to broadcasting -- and the fans -- ever since.

An icon in the eyes of baseball, Scully wants the impossible -- no fuss over his farewell.

"I'm just an announcer; I belong in the press box," he said. "Believe me, from the bottom of my heart, I'm the luckiest person in the world. To allow me to go this far is fine, but it's not really me. I'm not going to bring me on a tour like I'm some Stradivarius.

"It bothers me making it sound like because it's my last year I'm almost more important than the game. That scares me to death."

No comments:

Post a Comment