Tuesday, March 8, 2016

NBC 'Today' Corners Trump On Raised-Hand Pledge


Donald Trump ignited a firestorm last weekend when the Republican presidential frontrunner asked his supporters to raise their right hand and "solemnly swear" to vote for him.

On NBC's "Today" show Tuesday morning, host Savannah Guthrie told Trump that some people were "quite disturbed" by the pledge.

Business Insider reports She noted that former Anti-Defamation League director Abe Foxman, a Holocaust survivor,said the pledge "reminds him of the Nazi salute."

"I wonder how you feel about that comparison and whether it would make you want to perhaps not do it anymore?" Guthrie asked.

Trump initially dismissed the "ridiculous" criticism he was receiving for the right-arm pledge: 
"I think it's ridiculous. I mean, we're having such a great time. Yesterday, I had 20,000 people in Mississippi. I had tremendous crowds in Michigan. And sometimes we'll do it for fun. And they'll start screaming at me: "Do the swear-in! Do the swear-in!" I mean, they're having such a great time. They're massive crowds. I get by far the biggest crowds. 
"Honestly, until this phone call I didn't know it was a problem," he added. "I'll tell you what: Almost everybody in the room raises their hand. We're having a good time. I never knew it was a problem."

No comments:

Post a Comment