Friday, May 8, 2015

Radio Stuff Podcast Snags WLS-AM's Johnny B

Newly syndicated Cumulus and Westwood One personality Jonathon Brandmeier is never at a loss for words. In this 55-minute discussion with radio consultant and talent coach Larry Gifford, for the 100th episode of Radio Stuff, Johnny B lives up to his new tagline; Talk Unhinged.

On his time at WGN, Chicago: “The whole experience, I just did not like it. That’s the way it is. It’s just a fact. Anyone who knows me, knows that just wasn’t me.”

On his time at KZZP, Phoenix:  “That kid, me, was fearless. He didn’t care what you thought about him. He didn’t care what the ratings were, the PPMs – he didn’t care. All he cared about was is he having a good time?”

On Howard Stern: “What impresses me is that fact that Howard Stern never ever changed who he was for anybody. He never did. Here is the greatest example. He gets on the most high profile show you can get on; America’s Got Talent. And there he is in all his glory and what does he do the next day? He’s talking to someone about anal sex. He’s the same guy. I have nothing but respect for that because he just doesn’t let anyone push him one way or another. He stays the course. That is what I wish I had. I let people push me around a little bit and I shouldn’t have done it. I should’ve just said, ‘No, I’m not doing it.’”

The discussion bounces from topic to topic with the same speed and flourish as his radio show. Brandmeier questions the future of radio, contemplates on lessons learned throughout his career as a musician, an actor and a radio personality and shares personal insights on the launch of his new radio show.

The 100th episode of Radio Stuff also features the return, for one-show only, of original Radio Stuff co-host Deb Slater.


Radio Stuff (www.radiostuffpodcast.com) is a weekly podcast about radio for radio. Larry Gifford (www.larrygifford.com) hosts an insider’s listen to what’s happening on the radio. Now available on iTunes, TuneIn, Stitcher, and Soundcloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment