Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Phoenix Radio: Steve Goddard OUT At KOOL-FM

Steve Goddard
Steve Goddard, a familiar presence on Phoenix radio for 35 years, ended his association with KOOL 94.5 FM on Monday, April 6, according to azcentral.com.

 He had spent eight years with the CBS Radio station.

"Yesterday at 12:15 when I walked in for a meeting and I saw the H.R. girl. I knew this was not good," Goddard said with a chuckle.

Goddard, who worked the 1-6 p.m. shift, said the split was amicable. He said he had an idea the end was coming.

"The writing was pretty much on the wall," he said, saying that last year he signed a one-year contract instead of something longer term.

Goddard posted about Monday's news on his Facebook page and was touched by the outpouring of support, hearing from such disparate folks as media personalities Mary Jo West and Dewey Hopper and former Arizona attorney general Grant Woods.

A comforting, friendly personality, Goddard is known for his massive record collection and deep knowledge of Top 40 music. He came to the Valley in 1980 when he joined Top 40 station KZZP-FM (104.7). There was a 13-year run at country station KNIX-FM (102.5), in addition to gigs at KOY-FM, KPSN-FM and KKFR-FM. Along the way, The Arizona Republic twice named him Best Afternoon DJ for his KOOL-FM run.

"I'm ready to go (back to work), but I'm not ready to go today," he said with a chuckle. "I'll be ready to roll soon. There's still a lot of gas in the tank."

3 comments:

  1. You were and still are one of the "BEST" DJ-s Kool 94.5 FM ever had on their station!
    What's wrong with those people???????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for Mr. Goddard's (Steve) return. I was busy during the early part of April 2015. I assumed he was on leave-extended vacation, etc. When he still had not returned, I knew something was amiss and turned to the internet for answers. Boy! What a shock!! I really don't get it, twice was honored as best afternoon DJ. Hmmm... Has your audience base grown? This is a mistake! Thank you to Steve for making the valley a lot better with your 30+ years! I wish you all the best and station manager/decision makers you messed up, that's all there is too it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew steve when i was a dj in dallas tx radio through terry bell and ray dunnaway. played music with these 3 folks at terrys house in the early 70s when they were all at wfaa in dallas. glad to see that steve is still around. best in the future. ron parker, former dj and broadcast engineer.

    ReplyDelete