Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Pensacola Radio: WXBM Personality Marty White Retires

Marty White
Cumulus Media has  announced that longtime WXBM 102.7 FM Pensacola on-air personality Marty White is retiring after 42 years on the air, with 37 of those years on Pensacola radio.

As a fixture on Pensacola morning radio, White woke up Pensacola area listeners on 102.7 WXBM's "Hometown Morning Show" for over 20 years. Over the last year, he co-hosted WXBM's afternoon drive show with Lindsey Marie, who will remain with the afternoon show.

White is a native of Pensacola, a Tate High School graduate and a veteran of the United States Air Force. He has driven race cars at 5 Flags Speedway, flown with the Blue Angels, danced atop radio station vans as "Billy Bob" Ace Traffic Reporter and even donned a snakeskin dress with "Dolly Parton" wig and heels at the Beulah Sausage Fest.  All in the name of furthering WXBM's visibility in the market and all with the station's call letters emblazoned across his signature ball cap.

White has been recognized by countless charitable organizations for his help in promoting various events and endeavors including the annual Kaps for Kids Event for the Ronald McDonald House, which he was a part of for 15 years.  He was recognized by Northeast Pensacola Sertoma with the Service to Mankind Humanitarian Award in 2004-2005.  He was recently recognized on the floor of Congress for his laudable 40 years on the air. The Honorable Jeff Miller spoke of White's successes and achievements serving the people of the Pensacola and northwest Florida area.

Marty White
White has performed diligently throughout his career; always believing the reason the radio station's tower was erected was to serve the community. He has spent many hours away from his family during threatening storms to ensure the safety of lives and property, keeping listeners informed with his calm and confident style. He spent many more hours and days on the air after those storms ensuring the community would recover, and rendering factual and pertinent information.

Marty White has been the consummate professional-- always ready to lend a hand and provide air time when needed. He is recognized as one of the most talented and loved air personalities to have worked in Pensacola radio. He was at times outspoken, always "telling it like it is". He often said: " I try to tell it like anyone listening would, given the opportunity to sit behind the mic."

White said: "I grew up with a radio under my pillow so I guess it was in my blood early. To have worked most of my career in the town where I grew up is really unusual. I have always been grateful for that. I felt like it gave me an edge. Common sense, versatility, doing my homework and going on the air prepared have been the key to staying around as long as I have. You can’t take yourself too seriously. It’s just a radio show. The folks here have been really good to me and my family and for that I will always be extremely grateful. Now it’s time to enjoy life while I am still young enough to do that. I plan to do some fishing, hunting, play a little golf and get some things done around the house. Thanks for listening. I appreciate it."

No comments:

Post a Comment