Monday, October 6, 2014

Orlando Radio: 'Two Steps Back' For WOMX' Scott McKenzie

Scott McKenzie
WOMX 105.1 FM Morning host Scott McKenzie reports his battle against cancer has taken 'two steps back'.

In a posting on the station's website, McKenize writes that as he's been getting ready for a stem cell transplant later this month, he's had the feeling "that something wasn’t right."

He tried to chalk it up to side effects from an oral chemo he's been taking to keep my cancer asleep. He writes, "every day though seemed to have its own health headline. First my ankle hurt for no reason, then my hand, then my back, then my belly. But at the same time, I felt I was making progress on the treadmill getting in shape for the transplant, my blood counts were stable, and I was having a great time with my friends on the radio."

During a test last Tuesday (one of his daily after-work trips to the hospital) was a CT scan of the areas where my cancer is known to spend its free time. McKenzie reports "the next day, when I saw my oncologist for the results, he let me know right off the top that we had a problem. My gut feeling about my gut was correct. The cancer is once again trying to spoil the party. Within 2 hours I was checked into the hospital for what’s expected to be a 5 or 6 day stay with continuous chemo and monitoring.

Once that’s done, "I’ll go home for several days, wait for the chemo to crash my blood counts and recover (while sweeping up all my hair that’s about to fall out again.) Then step 2 is to check back into the hospital to do it all over again. After I’ve bounced back from that, I’ll pose for another CT scan to see if we’ve reduced the cancer enough to proceed with the transplant".  Hopefully that will come in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment