Friday, October 17, 2014

Chattanooga Radio: WUSY's Bearman Dies After Fall

Benjamin 'Bearman' Martin
Longtime WUSY 100.7 FM US-101 morning personality Benjamin "Bearman" Martin has died.

He was 61 years-of-age.

He passed away Thursday night from complications after a lengthy battle with liver disease. Bearman had been dealing with some health problems over the past couple of months.  He had been in the hospital last week, but was discharged Wednesday.  However,  he slipped and fell early Thursday morning at his home and hit his head. He was rushed to the hospital, he went into a coma and died around 10:45pm Thursday night, according to a posting on the iHeartMedia station website.

The Bearman in his own words:
"I've been in 'Radio' for 35 years. Started at a small AM station in south Alabama doing whatever needed to be done..hoping to one day get on the air, and to the dismay of some...finally one day they put me on. I've been in country radio for about  30 of those 37 years, and I've been at US-101 for 25 years. 
I started at US-101 doing mid-days, then moved to afternoons, then in 1995 Ken Hicks and I moved to "mornings" and I've been there since. I, along with my partner Ken, have been nominated for 4 CMA awards and 3 ACM awards...and we have won the Country Radio Broadcasters Personality of the Year Award. 
I am married to my wonderful, beautiful wife Rosa...we have 3 children...Jason, Jacqui, and Jeff, and 6 grandchildren. We live in Flintstone, Ga. and I work part-time at the rock quarry...I have a dinosaur named "Dino" and my best friends' name is Barney."

No comments:

Post a Comment