Monday, September 8, 2014

MLB Honors Broadcaster Vin Scully


Vin Scully on Saturday said he was still "overwhelmed" after being presented the Commissioner's Historic Achievement Award by retiring Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig on Friday.

Scully, the iconic Hall of Fame voice of the Dodgers in his 65th season, is the 14th recipient of the award and only the second non-player, joining Jackie Robinson's widow, Rachel.

"I was listening to the Commissioner reel off the reasons I got the award, and it was rather overwhelming in itself," Scully told MLB.com on Saturday. "I always feel awkward getting an award because in my heart and soul, whatever I've been given comes from God."

Before presenting the trophy to an emotional Scully, Selig said: "I thank him for a lifetime of extraordinary service to the Dodgers franchise. There's never been anyone better behind the mic. Hearing his voice makes me feel better. He's chronicled history, and now he's part of that history. From Koufax to Kershaw, he's represented the game beautifully.

"I think back on his career and everything he's done and seen. For somebody who grew up listening to the radio, that was my bond with baseball for many years. You have no idea what a privilege this is."

The honor caught Scully a little by surprise.

"I knew this much. I did a 45-minute interview with the Commissioner for MLB and he said he wanted to give you something but it won't be in front of the public," Scully said. "I figured I'd do the interview and he'd give me a watch. The last thing I thought is that he'd do it in a press conference.

"I was totally overwhelmed. It was the furthest thing from my mind. I was really overcome. I'm glad I didn't have to speak, I muttered something to him. I'm thankful I had a couple of hours before I had to go on the air. It blew me away. I don't mean to dismiss it, but I won't dwell on it. That's just the way I feel. I greatly appreciate it."

The award was created in 1998 to recognize accomplishments and contributions of historical significance. The previous recipient was Mariano Rivera last year.

Read More Now

No comments:

Post a Comment