Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Opie&Jim Address Anthony's Firing

Opie & Anthony
Gregg “Opie” Hughes and comedian Jim Norton were back on SiriusXM Monday for the first time since it fired Anthony Cumia, the “Anthony” in “The Opie and Anthony Show,” over a series of racially-charged tweets following a late-night altercation in Times Square.

TheBlaze reports  Opie made it clear he doesn’t agree with SiriusXM’s decision to fire Cumia “whatsoever,” he also revealed the first thought he had when he read his former co-host’s controversial tweets: “Oh, my god, we’re fired.”

“There was just something different about it. I’m like, ‘Oh my god, we’re fired.’ I think it was just the amount of tweets that he did and they were harsh, I mean, they absolutely were harsh,” Opie said. “And I understand why, because he was really mad at what happened. But I just knew in my gut, like this is not going to go well.”

He attributed the feeling of impending doom to the current “culture” that demands people be fired over any comments that are determined to be offensive.

Watch some of Monday’s show via SiriusXM/OpieRadio (Warning: Very strong language):



Norton said the media’s coverage of the incident has annoyed him because they haven’t focused on what he feels is one of the most important aspects of the story.

“He said harsh things, but he didn’t do harsh things,” Norton said. “I was annoyed at the press… If I had a pistol and that happened, I would’ve pulled it in sheer panic — and he didn’t. And he didn’t hit the woman back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment