Monday, May 5, 2014

TWHCD: Obama Jokes About CNN, MSNBC, Fox News


During remarks at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner on Saturday, President Barack Obama took aim at a familiar target: cable news outlets.

But aside from CNN, MSNBC and Fox News, THR reports the president also managed references to HBO's Game of Thrones, Netflix's Orange Is the New Black and Zach Galifianakis' Between Two Ferns.

Below are a few of the media and entertainment highlights from the remarks.
  • On CNN and its missing Malaysian Airlines coverage: "I am happy to be here, even though I am a little jet-lagged from my trip to Malaysia. The lengths we have to go to get CNN coverage these days. ... I think they’re still searching for their table."
  • On MSNBC's ratings woes: "MSNBC is here. They’re a little overwhelmed. ... They’ve never seen an audience this big before."
  • On Fox News' ideological slant: "And speaking of conservative heroes, the Koch brothers bought a table here tonight. But as usual, they used a shadowy right-wing organization as a front. Hello, Fox News. ...  I’m just kidding. Let’s face it, Fox, you’ll miss me when I’m gone. ... It will be harder to convince the American people that Hillary was born in Kenya."
  • On Healthcare.gov: The president joked the famously botched Obamacare website rollout was a success, saying it inspired a hit movie -- Frozen.
  • On the famously tan John Boehner:  "These days, House Republicans give John Boehner a harder time than they give me," Obama said. "Which means orange really is the new black."
  • On his Between Two Ferns appearance:  "I got a lot of grief on cable news for promoting Obamacare to young people on Between Two Ferns. But that’s what young people like to watch. And to be fair, I am not the first person on television between two potted plants," Obama joked as a shot of Fox and Friends co-hosts Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade flashed on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment