Wednesday, January 29, 2014

St. Louis Radio: Guy Phillips Re-Ups At KYKY Y98


CBS Radio/St. Louis KYKY 98.1 FM and longtime morning host Guy Phillips have put the ink to a new mult-year contract extension.

Phillips has be waking up the market since 1979 and remarked,  “How much more blessed can I be?” Phillips said. “I have spent literally half of my life at a radio station that allows me the freedom to poke and prod at the conventions of this business. I have a love affair with my audience, and the best support staff in any medium. Add to that, I get to work with four of the most gifted on-air talents in the country. Well, three.”


Phillips began his radio career at the tender age of 19 at the mighty KELP/El Paso, TX. He began as morning host on KSLQ -- 12 years later, he transitioned to Y98, where he's currently joined by Courtney Landrum, Jen Myers, Kevin "The Intern" and Lance Hildebrand.

KYKY 98.1 FM 60dBU Coverage
Next month Phillips will enter his 35th year with Y98.

What's his secret?

"I've outlived every general manager. I have a little dirt on all of them," Phillips tells KSDK-TV.

"Guy is an institution in the Bi-state," said Marty Linck, Program Director for Y98. "He continuously reinvents his show, and has an uncanny way of relating to the audience. I'm happy he will continue to call Y98 home."

"Ideally I wanted to retire at 58," Phillips admits. "I'm 61 now and I keep thinking, 'I know I'm going to leave this business, but I'm having too much fun.' And I think that, the fact that I'm the same guy I was when I came here in 1979, I'm a little goofy, a little irreverent, I get a little crazy sometimes, but I love what I do. I can't imagine sitting at home doing nothing."

Phillips talked at length about the intimate connection radio affords listeners and on-air personalities. During his tenure on the local airwaves, Phillips spoke from the heart about the births of his children, the passing of loved ones, divorce, marriage---all of it

In 2006, Phillips was elected to the St. Louis Radio Hall of Fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment