Thursday, May 23, 2013

Nashville Radio: Country Stars Donate For OK Benefit Auction

Parmalee, Jake Owen and Phil Vassar
Jake Owen autographes guitar
Nationally syndicated radio DJ Bobby Bones wanted to do something to help relief efforts in Oklahoma. According to Nashville's newschanel5.com, he decided an auction would raise money, and country stars are helping out.

Bones spent much of Monday night watching television coverage of the tornado that devastated parts of Oklahoma.

"Like a lot of people, I couldn't sleep. I had a tough time sleeping," Bones said.

On his drive Tuesday into Nashville radio station, WSIX The Big 98, Bones knew he had to do something when he went on the air that morning.

"I'm just a DJ on the radio. So I got into work, I just got on the air at 5 o'clock and said, hey anybody want to help? I just threw it on the air," Bones explained.

It did not take long for some of country music's biggest stars to answers the call for help. Jake Owen was the first to call into the radio show.

"And he said I'm leaving he gym and I'll be right up. So Jake came up and he played a song," Bones said.



Owen was also the first performer to donate a signed guitar. By Wednesday afternoon, there was a room full of autographed guitars at The Big 98. But those will not be the only items up for auction for the American Red Cross.

Country superstar Tim McGraw contacted Bones and wanted to make a donation.

"Tim said ok, I've got your guitar, but what I'm going to do is I'm going to make the winner of the auction my guitar tech for a show," according to Bones.

Kellie Pickler recently won a dancing reality show and also wanted to donate a one-of-a-kind item.

"Kellie Picker called and donated the shoes that she wore last night whenever she won the reality show," Bones said.

Clear Channel Radio runs several radio stations in Nashville and employees from those stations will take part in a local effort to collect items for tornado victims.

Read More Now

No comments:

Post a Comment