Friday, March 29, 2013

Twin Cities Radio: Tom Barnard Admits Substance Abuse

Tom Barnard
Tom Barnard, the longtime king of morning radio DJs in the Twin Cities, told listeners Friday that he’s going to be treated for substance abuse and hopes to get a grip on his fits of anger.

The 61-year-old KQRS host 92.5 FM said that drinking wine and taking pills to help him sleep and wake up were part of what led him to this decision, according to startribune.com.

That anger apparently spilled out overnight on Twitter, with Barnard expressing in profanity-punctuated terms, “I think I’m done. They don’t support me.” It was not clear whose support he was speaking about, however, a handful of Barnard’s tweets targeted the station’s sales department.

“I wouldn’t want to be in a situation where I either croak or I hurt someone really badly,” Barnard said on the air of the classic rock radio station. “I just go through periods I just cannot sleep at all.”

Barnard said he’s “absolutely committed to do this, or I wouldn’t be talking about it on the show.” He said near the end of Friday’s show that he will be treated on an outpatient basis at the outset, rather than in a residential setting.

“He won’t be taking a leave and will be continuing to do his show,” said Barnard’s attorney, Ron Rosenbaum.

KQRS executive Shelly Malecha Wilkes was not immediately available to comment about Barnard seeking treatment or about his criticism of station management.

Barnard signed a four-year extension with the station last July.

No comments:

Post a Comment