Friday, December 7, 2012

WMXD’s Frankie Darcell Surprised Over Firing

Detroit News photo
Detroit is losing more local flavor from the airwaves. Longtime air personality Frankie Darcell was fired Thursday morning from Clear Channel's Mix 92.3 (WMXD-FM), she confirmed. Darcell had been with The Mix for 11 years, with Clear Channel for 18.

Darcell, whose last air shift was Wednesday, says she didn't expect to be let go and was taken aback "a little bit," according to a story at detroitnews.com.

But: "I am good, Detroit is incredible, Detroit has been amazing to me," Darcell told The Detroit News on Thursday. "Detroit has become my home. I expect to be here and continue to do some amazing things. I'm excited about what's to come. I don't know what it is, but it creates great opportunity.

"We can't pick and choose what happens to us," she added, "but we can control how we react. I've been humbled by the many calls from people who have reached out to me. I've been empowered by a lot of folks, and a lot of love."

Darcell was already gone from The Mix's website Thursday, and newscaster/fill-in air personality Tracey McCaskill was hosting Darcell's midday shift.

Also gone is midday host Jag from Clear Channel's Channel 95.5 (WKQI-FM), who was told when he reported for his 10 a.m. air shift Thursday. "It's a tough business," Jag said. "It's a business of high highs and low lows. On Thanksgiving weekend I was onstage at the Fox introducing Flo Rida, then I was laid off today. Nature of the beast I guess."

No comments:

Post a Comment