Thursday, December 13, 2012

R.I.P.: L.A. Pioneer Talk Radio Host Ray Briem

LA Times photo
Ray Briem, a pioneer in Los Angeles talk radio, most notably overnights on KABC/790 AM, has died at age 82, his daughter Debbie announced Wednesday, according to Gary Lycan at ocregister.com.

Briem was on KABC from 1967-1994 following seven years at KLAC/570 AM. He was considered a conservative, but enjoyed meaningful debate with liberals.

Briem received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was honored by Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters in 2008.  After retiring from KABC, he did a brief afternoon talk show on KIEV-AM.

Read More Now


Briem, who had a brief stint as a nationally syndicated host, retired in 1994 after 27 years on the graveyard shift at KABC-AM, according to the LA Times.

Briem consistently drew the highest ratings of any overnight talk show in Southern California, routinely attracting about 15% of the available audience. He was a self-described protege of Joe Pryne, the legendary in-your-face host of a radio talk show.

1 comment:

  1. I probably spoke on-air with Ray dozens of times. In fact, one time he had me taking on all callers for well over an hour on his "challenge line. While we were from opposite ends of the political spectrum, he was almost always very fair to me, even sometimes, when I got a little obnoxious. I spoke to an on-air competitor of Ray's, who he told me he had Ray once, and that Ray was a "very classy" guy. I could not agree more. I miss you, Ray! Bob of Whittier

    ReplyDelete