Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Opinion: Rosenberg Departure Due To Mismanagement

From Robert Feder at timeoutchicago.com:
Milt Rosenberg, the University of Chicago psychology professor who hosted Extension 720 on news/talk WGN-AM (720) for 39 years, is the latest casualty of mismanagement and financial distress at the Tribune Co.-owned radio flagship. 
The final broadcast of the nightly call-in show Rosenberg described as “intelligent radio featuring the movers and observers of history being made” will air Thursday. His departure and the cancellation of Extension 720 were announced Monday as part of a revamped lineup that will go into effect on WGN January 2. 
"I'm on the older side, obviously, but I'm still full of piss and vinegar," the 87-year-old Rosenberg told me Monday. "Publicly, I want to say it's mutual. Obviously, they initiated it." 
“I’m not going to do a big farewell shmear every night,” he said. “I’ve just got three regular programs scheduled. And then on Thursday night, I’ll make my farewell. I’m going to play some clips from some old treasured moments, say a few words, thank people and fade into the night.” 
A man whose towering intellect and curiosity matched a prodigious ego, Rosenberg presided with ease over a wide array of topics and commanded a worldwide following on the Internet and through podcasts downloaded by the millions. In the latest Arbitron survey, his show (which aired from 10pm to midnight Sunday through Thursday) averaged a 6.9 percent audience share — outperforming WGN’s overall 4.5 share.

No comments:

Post a Comment