Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"My Year At Chicago's FM News 101"



I’d never been in a conference room quite like that.  It was on the 54th floor of the building at 330 N. LaSalle.  The main offices of GTCR showcased more marble than the Taj Mahal.  I guess that’s the kind of presentation you need to have when your company manages $8 billion in investments.  I was blown away by the view.  I could see Lake Michigan unobstructed, turn and see Union Station and the Sears(OK, fine…Willis) Tower to my right and then pivot back left and gaze all the way up north to Evanston. 
It was a bonus that Potbelly’s sandwiches and Cokes were being provided.  Given how easily impressed I am by a free lunch, it’s not surprising it was my first time in this type of power meeting environment. 
I took a spot at the enormous square table with my plate and drink alongside three other news writers.  We were the first four hires among the writing staff and seemed to be the focal point of this particular gathering.  The remaining seats were filled with editors, anchors, reporters and managers that had been assembling all week.  My former WBBM-AM co-worker Belinda Babinec had called me a few weeks prior and told me that a man named Andy Friedman was ready to hire me on her recommendation without an interview.  So, this day marked the first time I’d actually be meeting the boss.  Friedman thanked us all for coming and began to launch into exactly what we were all doing here. He reiterated one point, again and again: A strict ‘No Asshole’ policy.  He wasn’t hiring anyone with an ego.  It was going to be a team effort with a strong sense of individuality and humanity. I sensed a rush of excitement and energy in the room as he told us how democratically and uniquely this business would be run compared to our previous job experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment