Monday, June 6, 2011

CBS News Welcomes New Anchor

Bob Schieffer says Scott Pelley is tested in the field where it counts

From Bob Schieffer, CBS News

A little family news here:

Monday we turn a new page at CBS News. Scott Pelley becomes the anchor of the "CBS Evening News."

Not many people have had the job, and Scott is a good man for it.

I've sort of watched him grow up here - actually I've watched most of the people here grow up! No one who was in the Washington Bureau when I came here in 1969 is still here. So they're ALL newcomers to me.

But here's the part I like: Scott was telling somebody the other day that, since coming here in 1989, he has never had an anchor job, so he was a little nervous about taking this one.

Well, I think that makes him MORE qualified. Too many people in TV these days get their suntans from the studio lights.

Not Scott. He hasn't spent much time in the studio. He stayed out there where the news was, and still is.

Whether it was asking tough questions at the White House or in the trenches with the troops in Iraq or traveling to God-knows-where, if there was a news story, you would usually find Scott there.

Which is probably why, since he joined "60 Minutes" in 2004, half of all the awards won by that prestigious broadcast were stories that he reported.

So I won't be worrying about Scott handling an anchor job - I won't be worrying at all.

It's just nice to see someone get the job who deserves it. He'll do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment