Monday, May 2, 2011

Opinion: Bin Laden's Death Creates Generational News Moment

Demonstrates Digital Shift
From Ryan G. Murphy, RTDNA Digital Media Editor:

After a 10-year hunt for the man responsible for the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, U.S. forces have killed Osama bin Laden, in what may be considered one of the biggest news stories of this generation, which has, without question, created a "where-were-you-when?" moment and demonstrated the extraordinary digital shift that news organizations have made in the last10 years.

With blurry contact lenses still in after  falling asleep early Sunday night, I found out just after 6:30 a.m. EDT Monday morning while in my bed checking my iPhone as I do every morning to see if something big has happened overnight. I never expected something this big.

I soon made my way onto my personal Facebook page, which is fairly New York centric. (It's where I grew up and now live.) Virtually every post in my newsfeed was related to Bin Laden's death and carried with it a wide range of emotion, with some posts including the pictures of relatives killed on September 11, 2001, or in combat. 

Similarly, my Tweetdeck was, and still is, scrolling with bin Laden updates by the second. Twitter said that it had recorded more than 4,000 Twitter messages per second at some times during President Obama’s address on Sunday night delivering the news, the New York Times reported. Here's how the news of bin Laden's death unfolded on Twitter, according to Mashable.

The Huffington Post also did an excellent job of summarizing the scrambling some networks did to confirm and broadcast the news after it initially broke on Twitter.

According to the report: "The cable networks, which at times leap too fast into a breaking story and misreport early on, were restrained in waiting until their reporters confirmed the news. As a result, they seemed a step or two behind the latest bit of information available on Twitter. Several TV journalists jumped back and forth between appearing on air and updating over Twitter."
Read More.

No comments:

Post a Comment