Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Katy Perry: 'I didn't have a childhood'

You'll have to forgive Katy Perry if she's been a little eccentric in her 20s.

"I didn't have a childhood," she told Vanity Fair's Lisa Robinson.

In an interview for the June issue, Perry detailed her strict Christian upbringing, where she couldn't use the word "devil" in a secular context and couldn't purchase non-religious music. Her mother would only read to her from the Bible.

Perry's inquisitive nature is what led her to look outside her religion for informationm, Shari Weiss writes at
nydailynews.com.

"I have always been the kid who's asked 'Why?'" she said. "In my faith, you're just supposed to have faith. But I was always like … 'why?'"

The frank talk about Perry's pre-fame years comes amidst rumors her mother, an evangelical minister, is planning a potentially damning book about how her sometimes controversial career affected the ministry.
Still, the 26-year-old suggested she and her parents are on good terms.

"I think sometimes when children grow up, their parents grow up," she said. "Mine grew up with me."

Read More.

No comments:

Post a Comment