Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Social Networking On The Rise with Seniors

This holiday season staying in touch with everyone on your list in this fast paced environment can be challenging. Young people, ages 18-29, have found that Social Networking has made it easier than ever to stay in touch with friends and colleagues, but where does that leave Senior Citizens? How many Grandfathers in their sixties do you know with Facebook and Twitter Accounts?

"Well, I think you would be surprised at how high the numbers really are," says Lee Cockerell, Executive VP of Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts (retired) and a 66 year old grandfather.

"I use social networking as a way to keep in touch with my clients as well as my grandchildren. Many friends my age are doing the same."

According to a PRweb story, Lee is a great example of how senior citizens' use of Social Networking avenues such as Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter has dramatically increased. According to a report published by the Pew Research Center, during the period of April 2009 and May 2010 use of Social Networking among seniors, ages 65 and older, grew 100%--from 13% to 26%.

Lee Cockerell, who is also an international speaker and author of Creating Magic; 10 Common Sense Leadership Lessons from a Life at Disney, has over 1,000 Facebook Friends, nearly 2,000 avid Twitter followers and over 500 Linkedin Connections. He is an example of a Senior who has taken Social Networking very seriously. "I use every means possible to keep myself, my book and now my new iPhone app, Creating Magic-Leadership Thoughts on the Go! top of mind." Added Lee, "I have found Facebook and Twitter to be great resources to accomplish this goal."

Lee used Facebook and Twitter as the first media sources to launch his new iPhone app. In the intial week of it's launch, the app, Creating Magic, made the Top 100 best-selling business apps list on iTunes and has been featured as a "New & Noteworthy" app.

Lee added, "Life is changing faster than ever. I encourage everyone, young and senior, to embrace the changes especially when it comes to social media. I am fortunate enough to see my grandchildren and many close friends several times a week. Usually their first comments to me are about something they read on my Facebook postings."

With 13% of seniors ages 65+ logging onto their Facebook account daily, social media usage among this group is expected to continue to increase. With people like Lee Cockerell using these services so aggressively we may all soon find this to be the best way to contact Grandma and Grandpa over the holidays!

Creating Magic, is a collaborative effort between Lee Cockerell, LLC, Logogram, Inc. and Jones APR, a top app production company with millions of apps downloaded in over 90 countries worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment